Friday 17 October 2008

The Fringe!

The Fringe Festival - so here goes a little resume for those that think it's something related with a hair-styling event!

Official name: Edinburgh Festival Fringe;
Dates: everyday during most of the month of August;
Fact: it's the World's largest Arts Festival!


About the Festival:

As with all festivals, the Fringe started shyly, in 1947. Some actors that hadn’t been invited for the International Festival of Edinburgh decided to give make their own shows independently. As years went by the number of artists started increasing and the event more organised. Today there are hundreds of scheduled events and some other hundreds of independent artists that show their art on the streets, all around the city but mostly on the city centre and Royal Mile.

Since I had the month of August free of work, I took the opportunity to go to Edinburgh some times. Unfortunately, only once I took my camera with me. Here are some of the pics I took while going around.


The Royal Mile, the epicentre of the Festival:




On my way to the Meadows (big green area), where I also found many artists.


Chinese Elvis was there also! (bottom left)


Not every street had artists, which doesn't mean they weren't interesting


Typical from Edinburgh...


...and typical from the Fringe:


End of the day, on my way home. One of the artists looked at me and my shiny red bike, decided to steal it in front of some hundreds of spectators. I managed to change my small camera with the bike, which wasn't a very smart idea because then I couldn't take pictures. In the end I changed an old train ticket with my camera and was on my way home:


There are a lot of indoor and outdoor events, every day for an entire month!
For those who can imagine vacation without beach and sunny warm days, Edinburgh is the place to be in August!!

No comments: